Don't feel bad if sometimes you just have to waste a bunch of time in front of the TV. Sometimes it simply has to happen and lately I've been using Netflix to fill in for cable, which I have come to not really care about. But are you really wasting time? If you are watching something you enjoy, probably not. It is entertainment, after all, and people have been spending time and money on entertainment since the dawn of time. But before this gets long and drawn out, let me get to my point.
Here are some of my top Netflix recommendations:
Grey's Anatomy, drama.
Why? It takes place in Seattle and it's a hospital show without a lot of blood.
Plot: Meredeth Grey [Ellen Pompeo] is a surgical intern at the fictional Seattle Grace Hospital(I checked) and it's basically a sexually explicit cavalcade of medical situations because essentially, everyone is sleeping with everyone else.
Use it for: The three seconds of helicopter-filmed scenes of Seattle and to make it seem like someone is there when I cook.
Weeds, dramedy (that's a thing).
Why? I was surfing facebook on Dave's computer in his dorm while he was in class and Melvin put on a TV show and I heard Kevin Nealon's voice. The 3 of us then ate Wonton House.
Plot: Hot, rich soccer mom Nancy Botwin [Mary-Louis Parker] loses her husband to a heart attack and must sell pot to maintain the good life. She gets sucked into an awesome world of drug dealing, misadventures and murder.
Use it for: Something to watch while surfing the net, it's just an all around great show to watch whenever, falling asleep.
30 Rock, comedy.
Why? I saw an episode on a plane once and thought it was awesome.
Plot: Liz Lemon [Tina Fey] leads some ex-SNL cast members and few other characters in an SNL-type variety show for NBC as Alec Baldwin brings in a larger-than-life executive he-man attitude to lead them, NBC and General Electric.
Use it for: Laughing, feeling good about eating too much, watching Tina Fey be awesome.
Parks and Recreation, comedy.
Why? Because Ron Fucking Swanson, that's why.
Plot: Leslie Knope [Amy Poehler] leads the Pawnee, Indiana Parks and Recreation department to try to turn a pit into a park. It's pretty hilarious with just enough off-color jokes.
Use it for: Still in the middle of this one, it's my flavor of the week.
There you have it, some of the good ones. There are plenty of movies and TED talks on Netflix as well that are worth your while. Leave your recommendations in the comments!
I was SUPER into Weeds when I was working abroad the summer after sophomore year, because one of my besties and my coworker were both obsessed with it, and we could get entire seasons for like $3 at the DVD store. I stopped watching right before Silas got grown up and hot, which is unfortunate. I loved the show but I always wanted to punch Nancy the whole time.
ReplyDeleteI watch 2(3) shows: The Bachelor(ette). I have no defense.
Castle, which is starting again on Monday. Nathan Filion is THE SHITTT.
AND How I Met Your Mother, OF COURSE! Like a slightly sensationalized version of my friends and things that may or may not actually happen to us, in less exaggerated ways. Hands down my all-time favorite show EVER.
Except for maybe Sesame Street......
You definitely have no excuse haha. I really haven't gotten into How I Met Your Mother but It's on my list!
ReplyDelete